Sunday, November 23, 2014

The plan has already gone off the rails. I blame it on writing a story about Eris, the goddess of Chaos

I have what in theory is a plan now for ALTERswap over on Stitcher's Guild. Here's the thing, I conceived of the ALTERswap concept because I have plenty of clothes and nice ones too that with a little shuezzing (Yiddish(?) for fixing up/ making special) I don't need a whole new 11 piece wardrobe. If you do and you sew, go check out the regular SWAP thread. There are some gobsmackingly gorgeous ideas percolating.

So here is my plan as it stands now: Pictures WILL follow! (Emphasis to remind me!)

Pieces that don't need to be touched at all:
                                                               Eileen Fisher Narrow Ankle Length Pants
                                                               Eileen Fisher Fold-over Waist Short Skirt
                                                               Eileen Fisher-fabric Scoop-neck T-shirt

Pieces that need various levels of alteration to be fabulous:
                                                              Old Navy Denim Dress to be a Tunic
                                                              Eileen Fisher Silk Dress to be a Tunic
                                                              Eileen Fisher Knot Dress to be Wrap Dress
                                                              Eileen Fisher Dirndl Skirt to be Tulip Skirt

Pieces that I need to make from patterns and fabric I already have:
                                                              Merino Cardi with Leather Sleeves
                                                              Drapey Blouse of Washed Rayon
                                                              Long Vest of RPL from Julie Timmel (tells you how old it is!)

Piece that I have no idea how to do but am plunging ahead anyway:
                                                             Sleeveless T-neck made from Eileen Fisher Knit Pants


I gave up on the idea that I could combine all the facets of my life in one group of garments. I write, half the time in yoga pants and a sweater. I will be meeting people to discuss marketing and web design, and quite possibly doing book signings (terrifying!) I live in an area where you can go to the fanciest restaurants in jeans and NO ONE dresses up except I like to so I do and deal with the odd looks. In my mind, this wardrobe covers 'going out in public/confident/creative/interesting' occasions. Because the rest of my life is jeans, Ts, and work out clothes and that is boring.

So did you notice the problem with this plan? I conceived this so I wouldn't have to sew but the odd garment to fill in a hole. All but 3 THREE! pieces need sewing or full on cutting/sewing/fitting. This is very poor planning on my part. Still I am excited to have these clothes hanging in my frugal closet. More to the point hanging on my frugal back!

No comments:

Post a Comment